Achieve national and international preeminence in innovation,
discovery, and creativity.
- Attract and retain a diverse faculty and staff of the highest academic stature.
- Promote programs of discovery and creativity that are broad and robust.
- Invest in and promote identified and emerging areas of preeminence.
- Support interdisciplinary programs that foster integrative and collaborative scholarship.
Innovation, discovery, and creativity
Progress will be benchmarked by:
-AAU indicators1 at or above AAU peer institutional
-Faculty productivity/quality indicators at or above peer average2
-Center and program project grants compared to target
-Academic expenditures at or above AAU peer average
-Library expenditures per faculty FTE3 compared to peer average
- Competitively funded federal research support
- Membership in the National Academies
- National Research Council faculty quality ratings
- Faculty arts and humanities awards, fellowships, and memberships
- USDA, state, and industrial research funding
- Postdoctoral appointees
- Endowment assets
- Annual giving
Faculty Productivity/Quality Indicators
- Faculty in leadership positions or with fellowship status in societies
- Juried, adjudicated, or externally vetted performances, shows, and designs
- Sponsored research expenditures per faculty FTE
- Publications/citations per faculty FTE
1. Indicators used by the Association of American
Universities to assess the quality of an institution and its
2. Land-grant universities with colleges of veterinary medicine
3. Full-time equivalent