Appendix 3: Strategic Plan Metrics
Goal 1: Research, Innovation, and Creativity: Washington State University will be recognized for embracing risk and bold thinking to serve the needs of its communities through innovative research, scholarship, and creative activities.
- Expand research, scholarship, and creative activities that cross disciplines and employ new methodologies to address community needs and twenty-first century global challenges.
- Increase WSU’s ability to highlight its achievements and their societal impact.
- Maximize the ability to shape research, creative activity, and entrepreneurship in direct partnership with the communities the University serves.
- Enhance WSU’s ability to pursue, retain, and reward exceptional talent committed to creativity and bold thinking.
- Promote sustainable external partnerships to accelerate innovation and maximize the impact of the University’s discoveries.
- Licensing agreements
- Licensing revenue
- Number of agreements
- Research and development expenditures per full-time, tenured/tenure track faculty (T/TT)
- Federal R&D
- Total R&D
- Graduate and professional degrees awarded per T/TT
- Faculty promotions: Associate to Full Professor
Goal 2: Student Experience: Washington State University students will engage in scholarship, research, and experiential learning activities to prepare future leaders, scholars, and global citizens.
- Increase educational affordability geared toward improving the completion and graduation rates of students.
- Increase career development resources for all students starting with their first year.
- Ensure every WSU student has the opportunity to participate in experiential learning and community engagement (e.g., service learning, internships, undergraduate research, creative discovery, study abroad, and/or leadership).
- Enhance the quality of the undergraduate academic experience with an eye toward greater mastery of learning goals along with increased student retention and graduation rates.
- Nurture and promote mental, physical, and social wellbeing among students.
- Affordability Index
- Percentage of need met for undergrad students awarded any need-based aid
- Number of degree-seeking undergrads with no financial need who received non-need-based scholarship or grant aid (exclude athletic awards and tuition benefits)
- Average dollar amount of institutional non-need-based scholarship or grant aid awarded to degree-seeking undergrads with no financial need
- Proportion of need-based vs. non-need-based aid (scholarships, institutional aid, tuition and fees
- Retention Rates
- First generation
- 6-year graduation rate
- First generation
- Number of students engaged in experiential learning and community engagement
- # students involved in undergraduate research
- # students in study abroad programs
- # students in service learning
- # students in internships
- Number of doctorates awarded
- # of PhDs
- # of MDs
- # of EdDs
- # of DVMs
- # of PharmDs
- Social mobility index
- Percent Pell
- 6-year Graduation rate
- 8-Year Graduation rate
- Net price
- # of Pell recipients earning bachelor’s degrees
Goal 3: Outreach, Extension, Service, and Engagement: Washington State University will be a national leader in advancing quality of life, economic development, sustainability, and equity through meaningful engagement in discovery, education, and service with partners throughout the state, nation, and world.
- Improve and implement cohesive, system-wide mechanisms for assessing and communicating the impact and value of outreach, Extension, service, and engagement.
- Increase outreach, Extension, service, and engagement activities across all colleges, all campuses, and throughout the state, as an essential element to achieving WSU’s land-grant mission.
- Increase and enhance partnerships with under-represented communities.
- Increase the impact of outreach, Extension, service, and engagement activities to improve human health.
- Increase the alignment of WSU priorities with the needs, challenges, and opportunities in the state of Washington identified via outreach, Extension, service, and engagement activities.
- Increase University-wide resource investment in outreach, Extension, service, and engagement activities.
- Outreach, Extension, service, and engagement activities of campuses, colleges, schools, and units
- Total # of activities
- # of activities focused on improving human health outcomes
- # of participants; learning hours in activities
- Total # of external partnerships
- # of external partnerships with under-represented communities
- Sponsored funding for community-engaged research initiatives with external partners that addresses key quality-of-life indicators (economic growth, health, environment) in the state of Washington
- Media stories (featuring WSU’s impact on the state, nation, and globally)
- Social Engagement and Service
- # of students in ROTC programs
- # of alumni service projects
- # of WSU colleges that provide matching funds for undergraduate students who receive Segal AmeriCorps Education Award for having completed national service
- Voting engagement
- Amount of volunteer time contributed (Extension)
Goal 4: Institutional Effectiveness and Infrastructure: WSU will advance a culture of engagement and collaboration across its multi-campus system that values and invests in resources—physical, financial, human, and intellectual—leveraging these to become the social and economic drivers for the community, the state, and the world.
- Budget and planning:
- Align financial resources with strategic plan goals.
- Engage in integrated planning of current educational programs and research efforts to maintain and strengthen their quality.
- Modernization of infrastructure: Modernize facilities, technology, business practices, and campus environments to be safe, sustainable, and supportive for future areas of growth and leading-edge practices in teaching, learning, and research.
- System: Enhance overall internal buy-in for the WSU system and appreciation for all of its assets and components.
- Staff recruitment and retention: Increase the hiring and retention of exceptional faculty and staff—who represent diversity in all its forms—to advance research and the educational experience.
- Percent of faculty/staff diversity
- Facility condition index (FCI)
- University reserves
- Central reserves
- Return on investment (from alignment of goals and strategies)
- Annual giving