Washington State University will be one of the nation’s leading land-grant universities, preeminent in research and discovery, teaching, and engagement.
Washington State University is a public research university committed to its land-grant heritage and tradition of service to society. Our mission is threefold:
- To advance knowledge through creative research, innovation, and creativity across a wide range of academic disciplines.
- To extend knowledge through innovative educational programs in which students and emerging scholars are mentored to realize their highest potential and assume roles of leadership, responsibility, and service to society.
- To apply knowledge through local and global engagement that will improve quality of life and enhance the economy of the state, nation, and world.
- Quality and Excellence: We are committed to providing quality and excellence in all our endeavors.
- Integrity, Trust, and Respect: We are committed to ensuring trust and respect for all persons in an environment that cultivates individual and institutional integrity in all that we do.
- Research, Innovation, and Creativity: We are committed to the pursuit of inquiry and discovery and to the creation and dissemination of knowledge.
- Land-Grant Ideals: We are committed to the land-grant ideals of access, engagement, leadership, and service to bring the practical benefits of education to the state, nation, and global community.
- Diversity and Global Citizenship: We embrace a worldview that recognizes and values the importance of domestic and global diversity, global interdependence, and sustainability.
- Freedom of Expression: We are committed to the free exchange of ideas in a constructive and civil environment, including the canons of academic freedom in research, teaching, and outreach.
- Stewardship and Accountability: We are committed to serving as ethical and responsible stewards of University resources.